History of the Tathra Hotel
The original hotel in Tathra was located near the present hall and was called The Brighton. After it was destroyed by fire in suspicious circumstances in 1880, it was re- built adjacent to the old Post Office and was known as the Tathra Hotel. It was later demolished and a new hotel was built on the present site in 1888 and named The Ocean View Hotel. In the early years the hotel was a haven for local farmers who spent the night after they’d unloaded their produce down at the wharf. Sometime in the 1920s the name changed to Hotel Tathra. In the 70’s and 80’s it was known as Tathra Hotel- Motel and then eventually it changed to Tathra Hotel.
Over its history the pub has seen several publicans including J W Twyford who kept boats, fishing tackle and guns for guests, and Mrs Fuchs who on Christmas Day in 1912 held a sports day, cooked fish and poultry for dinner and hired out bathing costumes for sixpence. In the 1980s it was the centre of the region’s nightlife with live music playing every weekend including classic Australian acts such as Hunters and Collectors, Icehouse, Eurogliders and Diesel.
Various additions have been made in the 1960s and also in 2003. The red brick motel was added in 1975, replacing three old staff cottages.
In 2015 Cliff Wallis and Sayaka Mihara bought the hotel and embarked on a full renovation. Their vision for the pub integrated heritage and contemporary features with environmental initiatives to create a destination for locals and visitors.